Sunday, June 1, 2014

Surprise flower

A few years ago I hand pollinated some Hippeastrum flowers, collected the seed, germinated it and grew on the plants.


Hippeastrum flower bud
Hippeastrum flower bud
Recently the first of these plants produced a flower bud so I'm rather excited now to see what it will be like.

This plant is the result of crossing a deep red-flowered cultivar with a pink, striped one. It has a reddish-bronze leaf colour so if the flower's good, I might have a useful plant.

When you cross pollinate plants that are normally grown as clones (by making cuttings, splitting clumps or bulbs, or grafting) you never know whether you'll get something good or something less than average.

I just have to wait a few more days and then I'll see.

(If you liked this you might also like Journeys of heart and mind and Quote me on this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment