Friday, October 3, 2014

An anniversary or two

I've been thinking about my personal history recently. I've been digging out old diaries and photos and reviewing the vast complexity of this thing called life. I have been to so many places, met so many people, and experienced such joys and disappointments; some things have been easy, some rather hard.


But today it struck me that this is my 44th wedding anniversary.

Judy and me in 1967
Judy and me in 1967
I have two wedding anniversaries. On 3rd October 1970 Judy and I were married in Cheltenham. Sadly, she died just after Christmas in 1995. And on 21st March 1998 I married Donna. Of course, these days it's the second wedding anniversary that I am most aware of, but sometimes it's nice to remember the first one as well.

I was young and a bit rough around the edges in those days! We honeymooned in a cold and sometimes rainy Bournemouth and the wedding photos were in black and white. The second time round we were in warm and sunny Florida and the wedding photos were in colour! The first time we drove away in a beat up old car, the second time it was something less rusty, more comfortable and in much better condition.

My memories are good ones, my life has been happy. The joys have greatly outweighed the sadnesses, so far at least. I am grateful for my life - all of it! And I am looking forward to whatever may remain.

(If you liked this you might also like Journeys of heart and mind and Quote me on this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment