Sunday, October 5, 2014

Rediscovering old photos

I have a large collection of old photos. I began taking photos when I was just nine-years-old and I have some I took as far back as 1957. The picture shows a camera like the one I started with, a Kodak Brownie that took 127 roll film. I got eight shots on a film and it took a lot of pocket money to have a roll developed and printed and buy a new film.


Just like my first camera
Just like my first camera
Now I'm making another start at scanning some of these photos so I can make them part of my collection of digital images. It shows how far photography has come, that less than 60 years after taking my first photo, I was able to use my phone to photograph the camera below in a shop window at night.

I also have many photos taken by my father and a much smaller number by my grandfather, some of those on glass plates. They are, at least, gelatin plates. Before that, the old collodion plates had to be hand made in a dark tent that photographers would have to carry with them. Having chosen a subject, made the plate, and exposed the image, the poor photographer would have had to develop it immediately, take down the tent, and move on.

It wasn't quite as easy as taking the phone out of my pocket, pointing it at the shop window display, and pressing an on-screen button.

No comments:

Post a Comment