Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Swans and cygnets

As I walked home from town I spotted these cygnets on the bank of Hen Brook, some of the youngest I've ever seen. Mum and Dad didn't seem the least bit concerned about people passing close to their offspring.

Swans with cygnets
Just after I took this photo, a father with his young daughter arrived on their bikes and they stopped to take a picture as well.

When you think about it, it's really quite astonishing how wildlife adapts to the presence of humans. Mr and Mrs Swan are not alarmed because they see people passing all the time and  they are sometimes a source of free food, but rarely a threat.

Last year's cygnets are of course fully grown, but many of them still have a few grey flecks amongst their new, white plumage. We have a lot of swans in St Neots, I think more than I remember in previous years.

I headed on home, leaving the swan family in peace and quiet - at least until the next camera-toting passer-by comes on the scene. I took the image on my phone; it's great to have a camera always to hand  in my pocket!

(If you liked this you might also like Journeys of heart and mind and Quote me on this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment